By my estimation, Seth Herkowitz is living every Jewish man’s dream—as operating partner of Steve’s Deli in River North, he is constantly surrounded by corned beef and pastrami sandwiches.
Seth, who grew up in the suburbs of Detroit, has always been interested in hospitality. His godparents opened the original Steve’s Deli 1994, and it quickly grew to become the premier deli spot in Southeast Michigan. After completing his undergrad at the University of Michigan and getting a joint law and business degree at Chicago-Kent College of Law, Seth and his godparents decided to open another location in Chicago. When Seth saw a for lease sign in the window of the building across from the East Bank Club in River North, he knew he had the right location and Steve’s Deli opened at 354 West Hubbard in the fall of 2008.
So whether you love yourself some Jewish deli, like to spend your time outdoors on the lake or have connections in Michigan, Seth Herkowitz is a Jew You Should Know!
1.What is your favorite blog or website?
Detroit Free Press [to stay connected] with home.
2. If time and money were limitless, where would you travel?
Anywhere with my wife—but Italy and Switzerland would be great!
3. If a movie was made about your life, who would play you?
Who better to choose than Mr. George Clooney
4. If you could have a meal with any two people, living or dead, famous or not, who would they be?
Howard Schultz (CEO of Starbucks) and Abraham Lincoln
5. What's your idea of the perfect day?
Wake up and water ski in Michigan, followed by spending a day outdoors on a lake in the summer with family and friends
6. What do you love about what you do?
I love building a business and interacting with our loyal customers
7. What job would you have had if not the one you have now?
8. What's your favorite Jewish thing to do in Chicago?
JUF’s YLD Big Event.